You don’t have to go at it alone. Your Van Nuys personal injury attorney stands ready to help. Call or contact us today for a free consultation.
It happens in a split second: the screech of tires, the thump of impact and the hiss of your car’s airbags inflating. When you regain consciousness, you are on a gurney in the back of an ambulance. You draw a blank when you try to remember what happened, but the EMT says you have been in a car accident. This is just one instance in which the negligence or willful actions of someone else — in this case, the other driver — have caused you significant problems. As the victim of accident, you are entitled to full compensation for your damages. An experienced Van Nuys personal injury attorney can help.
Meet Our Attorneys
What is Personal Injury?
Personal injury, in a legal sense, is physical or mental harm caused by someone else through intentional actions or negligence. Intentional actions are those acts someone chooses to do, such as driving too fast, driving while texting or assaulting you.
Negligence is a failure to act, like when your neighbor lets a dangerous dog wander freely. A property owner would be considered negligent by failing to adequately fence a swimming pool. A negligent motorist might drive while distracted or fail to notice a stop sign, resulting in a collision. The law assumes that people should behave in a reasonable manner to prevent accidents. Those who fail to act reasonably are liable for any damage that results.
Although motor vehicle accidents are probably the most frequent cause of personal injury and wrongful death, you and your family can be hurt in other ways through no fault of your own.
Personal Injury includes (and is not limited to):
- Medical Malpractice: including birth injury, nursing home injury and treatment errors
- Unsafe Premises: including falls on slippery surfaces, playground hazards and workplace hazards
- Animal Attacks: such as dog bites
- Unsafe Products: including toys, household items, pharmaceuticals and food
- Assault on a person: including physical or mental abuse
- Wrongful Death
What To Do and What Not To Do After an Injury
If your injury requires emergency care, your first priority is getting the medical attention you need. In this case, your personal injury attorney can stand in for you at the scene of the accident.
Your attorney or other representative can do the following immediately after an injury incident:
- Take photos/video of the damages
- Get the names and contact information of those involved
- Speak with witnesses to the incident and note their names and addresses
- Get insurance information for those involved
- Wait for the police to arrive and fill out an official report
After a personal injury accident, avoid the following:
- Tell everyone you feel fine and go home
- Admit to any wrongdoing
- Engage the other parties in a shouting match
- Agree to a settlement of any kind
If you do not yet have a personal injury attorney to help you at the scene of your injury, it is even more important to act with care. Your next step is to contact a Van Nuys personal injury lawyer if you have not yet done so. Your attorney can handle your case from here on out.
Why Not Work Directly with the Insurance Adjuster?
After you have been injured — or a love one has been hurt or killed — in an accident, your expenses quickly mount. They are likely to include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages from time off work
- Future expenses like behavioral therapy and physical therapy
- Permanent loss of wages if you are disabled in the accident
- Funeral expenses, if a loved one has died
- Pain and suffering
- Other accident-related costs, including prescription drugs, household help and accommodations for disability
While it is possible that the at-fault party’s insurance coverage is sufficient to pay for your damages, it is more than likely that the settlement will fall short; this happens because the adjuster’s job is to decrease costs for the insurance company. You need an experienced liability attorney to represent your interests in any settlement negotiations and get the best possible outcome for you.
You are likely to be under time constraints as your bills continue to pile up while the insurance company is probably not in any hurry to part with the money it owes you. Your attorney can expedite matters. If the settlement offer simply does not measure up, your personal injury attorney is prepared to argue for your just compensation in court.
Similarly, if you are dealing with a corporation in a product liability dispute, you need an experienced attorney to fight back against the corporate legal team. The same is true of a medical malpractice situation. Hospitals and physicians are likely to have high-powered legal representation, so you should, too.
In summary, your personal injury attorney can:
- Curate critical information from the scene of the accident and safeguard witness testimony
- Obtain background information pertinent to your case
- Provide an objective view of your situation that is essential in determining liability, damages, and just compensation
- Represent you in settlement conferences with insurance adjusters
- Match the legal expertise of the other party’s attorney to protect your interests in a settlement or in court
- Expedite payment for your damages
How an Aggressive Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
Our legal counsel based in Van Nuys stands ready to help you recover your losses. When you are injured due to someone’s negligence or harmful intent, your first phone call should be to us. We offer a free initial consultation to help you make the decisions that need to be made. Our experienced legal team has a proven track record in winning compensation for accident victims in the Van Nuys region.
As a local law office, we have intimate knowledge of our court system, the legal community and the rules governing liability in the state of California. We can help you recover losses in any type of personal injury case, including:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Public transportation accidents
- School bus accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Premises liability
- Product liability
- Other injuries caused by another person
- Wrongful death
You and your family should not suffer due to an injury or death caused by someone else. We cannot take away your pain, but we can help you protect your economic interests at present and in the future. Call us today for a free consultation.
CONTACT US FOR A CONSULTATION
If you or a loved one has been injured, you will want a top rated Van Nuys personal injury attorney that understands how to get the maximum compensation you deserve. Our pledge is to be your partner, and provide passionate, yet skillful legal representation needed to win your case. Contact our highly trained personal injury lawyers today for a free case evaluation.
Slip & Fall Accidents